Tuesday, January 26, 2010

UMSL?!?

Hi Everyone,

One of the unique privileges of my semester has been not only working on campuses across Iowa, but also getting the chance to coach a staff named Chioma Chukwu as she works to plant a new InterVarsity chapter at the University of Missouri- St. Louis (UMSL for short). We entered the year very uncertain about how things would go...UMSL is an almost entirely commuter campus, which makes it a very difficult place to start new ministry...sort of like trying to make deep friends at a truck stop (everyone is always on the go!)

Anyway, Chioma has been an absolute joy to work with, and God is blessing her efforts in dramatic ways. Here's an excerpt from her latest update about a move of God among Greek students on campus!!

As we entered last semester, Greeks were one of the target groups I was praying to reach and God has been answering that prayer! We had 8 students at Urbana and one of them was Emma, a sorority girl that grew up Catholic but had a lot of questions about her faith.... she was struggling with guilt for not knowing enough about God and scripture and also not being sure if she was a Christian...

At Urbana, we sat down to talk after lunch near the beginning of the week. She shared the same uncertainties she'd expressed earlier in the year that were being amplified. I asked her if she thought she had a relationship with Jesus and if so where it was at. She said she thought so, but was unsure. The next day when I had scheduled to meet with all 8 of them, one of the girls Haley ran up to me and said "Chioma, guess what? Tell her Emma!!" And Emma said, "I'm a Christian!"....We took time in our meeting to let her share her response to God...On top of that, she's totally willing to start a bible study in her sorority house! She's already made the announcement and there are girls that are interested in studying scripture with her....

Her good friend/sorority sister Kaitlin had come to our meetings too, but seemed uninterested in God. She is one of those girls that constantly makes fun of people and has an intimidating attitude, but God has been working in her. I was surprised she wasn't turned off by me and was open to deep conversations.

Since school started, I had been oddly nervous about tonight (Friday 1/22), our Back to School Party. I was not sure what to expect! I felt like it was going to be a bomb. Of course-God showed up hardcore.

I got in a group with Emma and Kaitlin. I asked them what was happening for them during worship and Katilin said "I just wish I could be a better person. I see all of the bad things I've done and I just feel so bad. It's so beautiful to see how people love God here." I got to share more about God's heart towards her as she teared up and I finally asked her, "Do you want to follow Jesus?" and she said yes!! So I told her what to ask Jesus for in her heart, I prayed, then she prayed and Emily was there too praying, and she became a believer!! We announced it to the whole group and everyone was SO excited! She burst out into tears, so we gathered around and laid hands on her praying for God's protection of her mind and heart... It was great that Emily was able to witness Kristen being lead to Christ. She told Kristen that she thinks "God did this on purpose. We were meant to be together on this journey." As she was crying too.

I LOVE that God is making UMSL an evangelistic community. It's honestly getting hard to have ANY meetings that involve only Christians because non-believers always want in. I also really love this because it reminds me of God's work of saving communities of people at a time and the power of prayer. He is SO good!!


HOW SWEET IS THAT?!


Grace and peace,
Jon

No comments: