Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Sabbath Rest

Hello Everyone!

I’ve never written an update quite like this one, as this is my final letter before my family and I get to enjoy a six-month sabbatical (June 21-December 12)! I'm in the final week of tying up loose ends, so obviously wanted to lte you all know what was coming down the pipe!

As we increasingly understand ourselves as a missionary movement, InterVarsity is pushing its staff to embrace the practice of intentional sabbath every eight to ten years. I just completed my eighth year of service, and so my time has come!

Starting next week, I’ll be handing over my ministry responsibilities to my Associate Area Director (Kathy Haug) who will serve in my place through the fall semester. (Pray for her!) :-)

During the time, I’ll be giving myself more fully to some “change of pace” activities, including increased time with my family, more focused times of personal spiritual formation, reading and study, traveling and fun, and also some discernment as to what the next season of ministry holds after sabbatical is over.

I’m certainly excited for the time, but more so I find myself humbled to have such an incredible privilege and a bit uncertain as to what life will look like when I’m not giving my life to serving and leading students and staff. I’m confident it will be a significant time, and I long to steward the gift as well as I possibly can.

So, one last time before I go, let me say thank you again. To do this job and witness the movement of God on campuses is one of the most profound blessings of my life, and it’s your support and prayers that have made it possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: